-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Location matters for naught on a forum. A working mind is required, and the ability to read and write. An opinion is useful, but not required. If you only want "yes men" that think like you do and say what you say, join the liberal side. I value a well reasoned argument from an opponent more than a boot-licking yes man. I welcome any thinking mind, even if I disagree with it.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kellory
Location matters for naught on a forum. A working mind is required, and the ability to read and write. An opinion is useful, but not required. If you only want "yes men" that think like you do and say what you say, join the liberal side. I value a well reasoned argument from an opponent more than a boot-licking yes man. I welcome any thinking mind, even if I disagree with it.

Simply put;

Any man that won't stand up to you won't stand up for you.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Hummm, so there is a God?
wink

Sorry, JS, but i couldnt help it. smile

I think so, but I am not infallible.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the old lady has 4 cats all fixed, they seldom leave the yard, once in the while they might go next door but are most always on the front porch.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Any man that won't stand up to you, won't stand up for you.

Touché

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by kellory

Simply put;

Any man that won't stand up to you won't stand up for you.

Not bad. Succinct

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Louisiana of all states has some pretty strict laws concerning dogs running at large. Simply put "No person shall suffer or permit any dog in his possession, or kept by him about his premises, to run at large on any unenclosed land, or trespass upon any enclosed or unenclosed lands of another." RS3:2773
RS3:2773D states "Any citizen or officer may kill any dangerous or vicious dog, and no citizen or officer shall be liable for damages or prosecution by reason of killing any dangerous or vicious dog."
This section of law by the way is in our agricultural section of statutes, but applies statewide and does not state that the person killing the dangerous or vicious dog has to be on his own property. The section was clearly designed to protect property (cats ?) from dogs. I think it goes without saying a dog attacking a human can be shot unless said human is himself threatening someone and the dog is acting to defend life or property.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Thought about this over the weekend[my having an agenda of sorts] and I suppose the fellow from down under has a point, I do have an agenda.
30 odd years ago, my wife and I had a Labrador Retriever[our first]. When he was maybe 2-1/2 he came up missing. We lived pretty deep in the woods on a private road off of a pig path type county road. We searched and searched for that dog. We had heard of some youngsters that had shot a cow[bow] off the side of the road a few miles away. Also that these boys had been seen dragging a dead dog[not ours] in town behind a truck. A school bus driver saw one of our flyers, called and said to check about a mile on down the road, "that he had seen what looked like a black dog over the bank".
I found the dog, arrow still in him, and he was 'drug' down the road!
The boys confessed, thought he was a bear or a raccoon, weren't sure......this while one rides in the bed of the truck with bow.
They also confessed to the cow and multiple other items similar.

So yeah, I hate a m'fer that will kill anyone's pet for no good reason.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know what your laws are, but looking at it from a "what's right" viewpoint as opposed to "what's legal", overall your kin is still right and the running man is still wrong. The cats had no right to be in your yard. Dogs chased them back, in the process, having no right to be in his yard. That said, they posed no threat to human life and the implication is they posed no threat to the cats thus, there was no need to kill them. There was no need to brandish a pistol threatening your stepfather either. Your stepfather bears maybe 10% of the blame and that's being very generous to the neighbor.

R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Apparently, the sheriffs dept saw no wrongdoing on my S-fathers side.
The other guy, not so much.
3 felony and 2 misdemeanor charges, that with a $50K bond to get out of jail.
Pretty high bail/bond around here for a 'non-human' involved crime.

FJB & FJT
IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Raeford

If I recall, you said that the guy was a convicted felon. A felon in possession of a gun will get him in trouble. But a felon possessing a gun and sticking it in somebody's face will get them in big trouble.

Shooting the dogs like he did is a big red flag, I'd think.

He probably was feeling like shooting your dad, but settled for the dogs.

I'm betting that's what the cops are thinking about it, too.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by kingston

I am just bored and being picky about accepting anything on face value as I know there is never any 'true' story, merely versions.

You justify the unsympathetic, insincere, and equivocal heckling of someone else's tragedy with boredom and truth seeking...

You're not who I thought you were.

On the other hand I am exactly who I think I am, and I am not inclined to accept a one-sided version of anything without verification.

Or do you really think someone that has spent his life cloistered in an education facility would confront another with a firearm without feeling threatened.

Mind you after seeing how a lot of posters here put their animals before everyone and everything else there is always the chance that the retired Professor was just as wacked out of his skull as those here that demand extraordinary access to privately owned lands without consideration of the rights and wishes of the property owners.

Problem here is you are making an assumption and using that assumption as a kernel to question the OP's post.

I don't know what happened. Doesn't impact me directly.

But I do know higher-ed and higher-ed types. Spent almost 7 years in college. Worked for universities for over 4 years after that and continue to engage with them on a professional level to this day. My wife has taught and worked for community colleges, colleges and universities for the better part of her entire professional career.

If you think simply because someone is a prof, or ass't prof, that they are sane and they wouldn't do something as described in the OP's post, you clearly have know knowledge of what you speak. Those employed by universities, particularly tenured profs and those that were employed long enough to retire are about as far removed from reality as any group of professionals I have ever dealt with. Wouildn't surprise me in the least for some retired prof to go off the dep end like this.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a man capable of putting a gun in your face and then shooting two dogs point blank shouldn't be upright.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe

If I recall, you said that the guy was a convicted felon. A felon in possession of a gun will get him in trouble. But a felon possessing a gun and sticking it in somebody's face will get them in big trouble.

Shooting the dogs like he did is a big red flag, I'd think.

He probably was feeling like shooting your dad, but settled for the dogs.

I'm betting that's what the cops are thinking about it, too.

I was given 'bad info' from my mother initially, he was 'charged' with felony level charges[3] over this.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't think you're understanding my meaning. When I say, "10%", that is next to nothing.

I don't know what the charges are, but it is human-involved when part of it is the potential felon pulling a gun on your stepfather, whether charged for that or not, you can rest assured LE took it into consideration.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Solution- everyone keeps pets on their own property. Simple.

Sounds about like that dude from Ohio that had fence issues... people these days are beyond stupid.

Of course i don't know that I could stop myself if you killed one of our dogs. I"d be in jail for something like manslaughter I"m sure... they are like our children.

Of course the cats had nothing to do with this, killing cats is as stupid as killing the dogs was....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,457
Posts18,471,135
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.