Originally Posted by powdr
Thanks guys. I do appreciate the responses. It looks like I'm partially right and of course partially wrong. I just turned 63 and it's still on my bucket list but it's probably one that won't ever get crossed off. What a majestic animal. powdr

Do it. While my Dad was a great man in my life growing up, we didn't take the time to do these things when we were both young enough to enjoy it, and get into the hard places that held the elk.

We go now each Fall, but I can see that the mountain is steeper for him every year, and I'm beginning to feel it, too.

Point being, odds are that "somebody" in your family, or your true friends, would go with you. It doesn't have to be a solo hunt.

FWIW, my first elk was a solid double lung shot, followed by a 200-300 yard death run, and very little blood as the hide covered the entry and exit holes very well while he was moving. He was at the edge of a tree line, no follow-up shot available.

We assumed a miss for the first 30-50 yards of tracking, then found one big drop of blood, and started looking further out. Blood was left at one dime-sized drop about every 10-25 yards, until we found him upside down next to a log.

Last edited by AH64guy; 06/17/15.