Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A problem with shooting a bedded elk is the position of the 'elbow' on the front leg. It partially covers the heart & lungs. A light bullet might have a problem penetrating. Also, the lower half of the chest is where the vitals are and a bedded elk presents the top half.
I haven't had a need to try it to see if it works but I think I would get ready for a standing shot then whistle softly until it got curious enough to stand up.

I have probably shot a half dozen elk bedded. Most drop their head over. Others might stand up and fall back over in a few seconds.I have done this both with a 30-06 and a 50 cal muzzle loader. Elk that are not alarmed die pretty fast. All were less than 50 yards. Bullets placed at the base of the neck where it meets the chest are the most effetcive if you have a good knowledge of how the spine is locates

The problem with even a low whistle is they know that isn't natural. Most will jump and run only offering you a tail end shot.Even a cow call will spook thme in heavy hnuted area.

AS for elk on the table vs bringing home the ammo.That is not it. It's tearing up more meat when not required.However K Salonelk makes a good poin. Trust your instincts. Which I have grown to trust in shooting enough elk.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/23/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles