I guess I am in the minority about keep shooting until they are on the ground. I limit my shots to about 300 yards max,give or take a little, but 95% of them are less than 100 yards in rifle season. I am really picky about taking the shot,and I must have a high probablity that the shot is 100% good before I pull the trigger. Conseqently after the shot,I put another one in the chamber,but in reality in the thick stuff I usually hunt,there is no chance for a 2nd shot. Secondly,I hunt for meat and if it isn't necessary,I see no reason to waste more meat. Hunting muzzle loader hunts for years,I got into the habit of making the first shot count.

Of course the next reply will be someone saying they would rather take a 1/2 an elk home than lose one or not punch a tag. I'd rather take the whole elk home or let it walk

Last season,I did shoot twice at a bull. . He took off in that death run. He was in a small clearing, so I had the opportunity.However,he went less than 100 yards and piled up in the timber. I had missed the 2nd shot.

Out of about 4 dozen elk I have tagged. I lost two. One I found the next day,but it had spoiled and one a few years ago in ML season. That one was dead ,I know, but three of us looked 1/2 a day for her in the tall weeds and I went back the next day and spent several more hours.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/17/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles