Originally Posted by GunGeek
So the question I have is, how realistic is it that we will find F-35's in a visual range dogfight? I thought the whole idea of stealth technology was to avoid visual range dogfight.

Now I'm no pilot, but I read a report where a US Pilot flew a Mig 29 and he said a good pilot in the Mig 29 would probably chew up a F-16 mainly because the gun on the Mig is slaved to the radar and you can actually lock up the gun. Again, just something I read and I don't know how solid that is. For visual range engagements, the Russian aircraft are quite formidibile, but I still think it's going to come down to the quality of the pilot...and the big IF of ever getting into a visual range dogfight. I don't care how good an aircraft is, I wouldn't want to get into a visual range fight with an F-16 against a US pilot. It's probably the ultimate dogfighting aircraft.

And I would think that the F-35's radar would allow someone to avoid detection from 4th generation fighters until the point to where they can choose when and where to engage in a visual range fight.

I have extensive experience with the 29, 31 and SU-37's capabilities, as well as the old Soviet IADS concept and their version of AWACS. It all SUCKED. The first two were and are POS. The Flanker was pretty good, but an Eagle would eat it for lunch and I'm not even talking about pilot quality either. As to your opening statement regarding dogfights, well, it buttresses your statement that you're not a pilot... Lastly, that quote about "slaving the gun to the radar" try and visualize how one could POSSIBLY "slave" a gun that is fixed to the fuselage. Think about it....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”