First of all I was a little light on price, I did a search on GB and Kimber Montana's are $1200.00 not $1100.00 that being said you are right the Kimber Montana is the lightest production rifle in that price range but I can't pay $1200.00+ for a rifle that I know more than likely I will have to take home and screw around with just to make it shoot, that is ridiculous! If I want a light rifle I will save me a pile of money and buy a Tikka T3, I will carry the few extra ounces with the Tikka at half the price and have a rifle that will shoot or I'd spend a couple hundred more bucks than the Montana and buy a Sako Finnlight and have IMO a much better rifle that has bottom metal, I am not going to fret over the minimal weight difference but if a few ounces difference mean's that much too you and your an amateur gunsmith by all means its your money, buy a Montana you will be tickled to death with your project and who knows you might get lucky and buy one with no issues......I didn't mention that I also hate the slick blind magazine stock on the Kimber Montana but that is a personal thing.............Good hunting............Hb