I've been on two Alaska bear hunts, which makes me an internet expert on the subject. On the first hunt I carried a rifle and a S&W M-629 .44 revolver...once. The revolver got heavy after a few miles of hiking and always seemed to be in the way. The second day I decided to leave it in camp. The rifle would be able to do any job that needed doing while I carried it.

The handgun was nice to have next to my sleeping bag in the tent, in case shaggy neighbors came to call in the middle of the night.

I took the .44 on the second hunt but it stayed in the tent most of the time also.

However, after my tags were filled, the rifle stayed in the tent and I carried the .44 while exploring and goofing around. It was much handier than a rifle for that purpose and was nice to be armed in bear country.

Here in Michigan I always carry a handgun while rifle hunting, but it is the Glock 19 that I always carry with my CPL. I don't consider it a hunting gun, although it certainly could be used in some hunting circumstances.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 07/18/15.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...