Funny story... I typically carry a handgun when out in the woods but this is entirely dependent on time of year, what I am doing, and my load out/other gear.
I was salmon fishing at the mouth of a creek. I rested my 458 up against a tree 10 or so feet behind me. Well I was squatting rice paddy prone with my pole, back to my 458, and being drowned out by the noise of the creek. But I did not feel alone... It was all of less than 10 minutes and I looked back over my shoulder. Here was a black bear sitting, like a dog between me and my 458. I was deeply disappointed grin and was so scared I wasn't sure what to do. I did not have my 44 on me. I figured that because he was just sniffing away and sitting observing, that he was one of in town bears that frequents one of the creeks in town. These bears have learned to rush people for their fish and were somewhat accustomed to people. I was young and didn't know if I should just walk into the shallow stream and try to walk away or what. Well long story short, I walked in a big arch and grabbed my 458. By the time I reached it, the bear was still within 12 feet or so. At that point I leveled my front sight and started yelling. The bear just moved on.
I was so mad at myself. 6-10 feet is too close for me especially for how comfortable he seemingly was.