Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by rattler
dont know how well i can tell the difference between angus and another breed besides longhorn(near zero fat) but can tell the difference between one raised on dry prairie versus one raised on richer food stuffs like a feedlot.....having grown up on it i much prefer local beef to what most seem to think is good beef, i'm used to the lower fat content of local beef.....feedlot beef or stuff raised on richer ground than our short grass prairie tastes "greasy" to me, stuff given lots of corn to finish off even more so...

Yeah, give me grass-fed beef anytime, compared to feed-lot cow meat. I like it better lean. It's got to have SOME fat, but not the way they're finishing them out now.

oh yeah it definitely has fat but not as much....i have a buddy with a few longhorns and for grins one year he did steaks instead of pure burger....yeah that didnt work out so well, way to little fat for a good juicy steak.....

did like having some of the longhorn burger though, was great for things like tacos, meatloaf ect where you didnt want a bunch of grease to pour off, usually bought about 40 pounds of that a year and a full normal beef from someone else on top of what deer and stuff we shot and put in the freezer....to teenage athletes can lay waste to a freezer, youngest used to take a 3 pound package of burger out after practice, thaw it out, make it into three burgers, eat those and then still have supper with the rest of us a few hours later crazy

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books