Denton:

You posted:

"If your bullet impacts ...that point, penetration begins to decrease".

Sorry but I just don't understand. Something is getting lost in the interpretation.

Can/will you please elaborate ?

Sure. Let me have another try at it.

Here is actual average test data from 30-06 cup and core bullets impacting at various speeds

[Linked Image]

Most people are shocked that the curve slopes downward to the right, meaning you get less penetration as impact speed increases. Below about 2100 FPS, you get very deep penetration because the bullet does not open. Above about 2800 FPS, the bullet begins to fail, and penetration decreases. Between those two speeds, the length of the wound channel is about 15 inches, regardless of where in that window you are.

Partitions open at about 17-1800 FPS, and give about 16 inches of penetration regardless of impact speed above that point.

So more speed does not give you more penetration. In fact, if you're shooting something for big game with an MV above 3000 FPS, your bullets will frequently fail on shots within 100 yards or so, unless you use premium bullets.

Denton, I have to disagree with you a bit.

A faster impact will give you a wider wound channel which can result in more internal damage then a long narrow wound channel. The wider the wound channel, the better the chance for a CNS hit, which is what produced most DRT results.

A 160gr bullet leaving the barrel at 3400 can have amazing on game effects.

You may well be correct about getting a wider wound channel. I'm still wrestling with that one.

Be not weary in well doing.