Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
I killed two coyotes once with my .340 Wby and the 225 spire point. Both shot tight behind the shoulder, and both ran probably 100 yards before toppling over. I was stunned being what I had just shot them with. This same bullet/load had absolutely flattened deer, elk and caribou.

Speed and bullet construction doesn't mean $hit if your target isn't big or stout enough to expand the bullets.

----------------------------------------------------

How many times has that happened to me on animals ?? Plenty.

Behind the shoulder and below the spine is probably through the rib cage and maybe lungs. Maybe heart too.

The hydraulic shock is tremendous. Witness a watermellon blowing up. The animals are apparently running on adrenalin and some latent motor functions but the shock is seemingly insufficient to flatten the animal. 100 yards is about right for the "run". I have had them go 75 to about 150 or so. Some keel over and some just stand there sick, head down, unable to do anything except stand up. Some run out of sight and I have to track them. I blasted one buck at about 35 to 50 yards, that came over a ridge and didn't see me. Shot him clean through. He was bleeding like a stuck pig but ran 300 - 400 yards. It was a heavily hunted area with swarms of other hunters. I tracked him but some other hunter shot him a couple of hundred yards in front of me, grabbed the antlers and ran down the mountain as fast as his legs could carry him.