Originally Posted by Bighorn
A follow-up to my previous post-

I bought one of those full-out custom rifles, some time past. It was a Ruger #1, built by such artists as stockmaker Al Lind and metal engraver Ray Viramontez, and fitted with a Shilen barrel. It was offered by Guns Magazine as a closed bid auction, proceeds to benefit the Olympic Shooters Fund. No, it wasn't built specifically for me, but from the photos and descriptions, it was something that really appealed to me.
Mine was the high bid, and once the rifle was in my possession, it went into my gun safe, where it stayed for a number of years. I would take it out occasionally to clean it up, or show it to friends, or whatever. Then, one day it occurred to me that it if I didn't shoot it, the rifle was nothing more than a museum piece, that I would never recover my money from, tax deduction notwithstanding.
So, I mounted up a scope, fireformed some .280 brass into .280 RCBS for which it was chambered, worked up a load for it, and took it elk hunting, where I shot the biggest bull elk I have ever seen, before or since. I still take this rifle out of the safe every once in awhile, just to admire the wood, checkering and engraving, and the wonderful balance it has. Someday, one of my sons, or my grandson, will own it, hopefully to also appreciate it as a fine piece of artwork.
I guess this rifle totally changed my perspective on custom, wood stocked rifles, and why one should own one (or more). I intend to do more hunting with this very special rifle- probably not in driving rain or snowy blizzards, but on hunts I intend to remember as much as that elk hunt. Who knows, maybe this fall for a big New Mexico Muley?

Weiland just wrote an article about these very things. It's in the back of the latest Rifle.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house