Ingwe: Years ago I had a custom Varminter in 17 MachIV built on a Remington 700 action.
It has a very heavy Shilen stainless steel match barrel that is 26 1/2" long. It has a Jewell "Under-Lever Saftey" trigger and a McMillan Marksman (Winchester pre-64 Model 70 Target Rifle style) and a Leupold 6.5x20 variable scope.
This Rifle weighs 11 pounds 1 ounce and believe me you CAN see bullet impact.
This Rifle has killed every manner of Colony Varmint along with predators, flying Varmints, a wild Turkey and Badgers - and has done so virtually without failure!
I liked the Rifle/caliber so much that when the Remington folks came out with its heavy Varmint "twin" (Remington 700 VSF in 17 Remington Fireball) I bought one of those as well!
My custom 17 MachIV is only a tad more accurate than my VERY accurate 17 Remington Fireball Remington 700 VSF.
I have killed Coyotes with my 17 Fireball out past 300 yards!
I use the wonderful 25 grain Berger bullets in all my 17 caliber Rifles.
I have three Remington 700's in caliber 17 Remington (including a rare Remington 700 VSS all stainless Rifle with heavy barrel 26" long) and am impressed with the accuracy of all of them.
If you are going to Hunt mostly Colony Varmints I would go with the 17 Remington Fireball - if predators are often going to be on your menu then I would opt for the perkier 17 Remington.
Best of luck to you with whichever caliber you choose.
Your posting was a bit vague as to your uses and if you are going to "make" your own rig.
Please clarify.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy