I have a 17 Mach IV and a recently-adopted 17 Rem, and my brother has a 17 Fireball. The Mach IV is a 15" Bullberry, and the others are Remington BDLs.

Have to say that I didn't think I'd like the 17 Rem that much, but after working up some loads, the majority of which were around 1/2" (5 shots), I am pretty enamored with the cartridge. The most surprising aspect was how forgiving it was, as I tried 4 powders, CFE, Varget, 4320, H4895 and all gave great accuracy with a broad charge wt range. Moly'd Hornady 25 HP.

My bro loves his Fireball. It doesn't seem as forgiving as the 17 Rem, but that isn't really an issue. I also really dig the M4. Those little bullets spinning so fast throw stuff sideways on impact. Fun to watch!

Smaller charges in the FB and M4, and screaming speeds, even with the 25's. I suppose if I was purpose-building for gophers/pd, I'd go with a FB. Cute little cartridge. Less powder=less heat=moar shots in a string before things sizzle. I have a hard time heating up that Bullberry with aimed shots. MOAR!

As an aside, bro and I worked up some small game/grouse loads for the FB/M4 using 20gr Dogtown and V-max with Titegroup. 3.8-4.2 gr gives 21-2500 in his gun, so a M2 to an HMR. Perfect for grouse, testing has shown. I've not chrono'd them in the M4, but I'd guess speed is not far off from the 24" FB, and irrelevant.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.