I don't know anything better than Goretex in wet grass for folks who wear boots a few weeks a year. I've always understood that Goretex had to be clean and that oil and grease would contaminate Goretex
Unless it has been specifically approved for use on Gore-Tex, never use any waterproofing waxes, greases, or polishes on your Gore-Tex shoes.
Then too Goretex fabric is nice for staying dry on the surface as well as not leaking - but again when clean and properly, freshly, treated.

Long time ago there was a fad for putting waterproof boots in fish tanks. About any boot would stay dry indefinitely with no flex and no rub. Silicone seal/spray was notorious for this.

For folks who live in their boots and can't switch off daily then only the best of heavy leather - Whites or equivalent or the competition at the top end, used to be a maker IIRC Peter Limmer (or close) in the east who made good mountaineering boots. These are boots that would endure the end of the world as we know it though it might eventually be hard to get them resoled.

Now that the best of technical mountaineering boots are all plastic it's harder and more expensive to find and buy a traditional leather boot that really does perform as good as it looks. I buy a lot of Danner at breakroom prices so I can switch off - not always a great bargain; I've bought two pair identical at the same time and found one good one not so good. I don't expect them to last beyond one season if that of really hard use. That's good enough because the boots that would last are too heavy, too hard to break in and balance the trade-offs in the wrong direction for me - I'm about as happy with a Goretex trail running shoe that is about ready to be thrown away after the first time I use them but is comfortable for a weekend.

I see jeans mentioned above and cowboy boots for use in bad weather. I used to know a woman whose son met the fool killer on the road - it was a bluebird day and he thought jeans and cowboy boots would see him through it.

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 09/13/15.