I've owned several pairs of good GoreTex boots and they worked as advertised. My problem is that I simply wear the insides out over time ... a long time. Not the GoreTex's fault. If Cabela's makes chest waders out of Dry Plus, it certainly is waterproof. Trying to make unlined leather boots waterproof is folly. They may be water resistant for a spell, and that's about it. The nature of the beast. And Bin is right about some waterproof clothes feeling like they leak, but they don't. It's the temp and the 'weight' of the water. I have one of those cheap milsurp Tennier Industries "modular sleeping systems" that comes with a camo Goretex bivvy. Due to bad planning on my part, I slept out on a cot in a rainstorm in the thing. It held perfectly, and in the morning my sleeping pad was holding a puddle of water, being closed cell foam. I actually slept in a puddle, and the thing held. I was impressed. That's a lot of capability for around $100 bucks. It's easy to work up a sweat in GoreTex and get disgusted because it's supposed to be breatheable. Compare it to a garbage bag and it starts to feel real good ...

While not the Grail, GoreTex is a hell of a lot better than stuff out there before it.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill