I've owned probably 10 pairs of Gore-Tex boots. Invariably they leak with time, and invariably they are dry when new. When the leather stretches enough I think the membrane gives way. Mine usually last for a year or two. I use them for work and they just wear our. Sierra Trading Post has sales and I can usually buy them for under $100--I usually buy two pairs at a time. If you want boots that will last years of usage and be waterproof, you have to buy all leather heavy boots and keep them waxed. I really like the Asolo offerings, as they are light and rigid.

As has been covered, Gore-Tex is indeed waterproof. I kayaked for years using it and it will stay dry, if with some maintenance. I had a drysuit for years that NEVER got wet, even on multi-day kayak trips with constant soaking. My waders are also Gore-Tex and stay bone dry if I stay clear of barb wire.

Also, I understand that Gore-Tex has strict usage guidelines that they require manufacturers to follow. That is one benefit of buying Gore-Tex over other manufacturers.

Last edited by headwatermike; 09/17/15.