For perspective, a couple of days ago, while hunting moose with a good friend of longstanding, we had at least a couple of bulls coming to the racket we set up to tease them. As it turned out, a big, obviously legal bull came into his field of view first and he took two shots from 300-400 yards. The moose was in an 'open' area that was quite cluttered with broomed willows, birch and other brush. The moose also was in pursuit of a cow when he shot and had been raking in response to the rattling I had been doing with the plastic stock on my Winchester 375 H&H. In any case, he hit the moose twice, neither a lethal shot though the second shot strayed and broke both rear legs. (He was shooting a 7 Rem Mag with 175 Core-lokts.) I heard the animal fall followed by some continued stirring and grunting. I arrived at the scene first to find the animal still full of fight and eager. Approaching within 25 yards or so, the animal attempted to rise on its front legs. Not knowing how badly it was wounded, I sent a 300 grain Partition into the heavy part of its shoulders - it was perfectly broadside as it raised its front end up rapidly. Surprisingly that shot didn't end its aggression and I used still one more to put it down for the count. While skinning we found one of the Partitions lodged against the hide on the far side. No major bones were broken by either bullet that I could determine, yet neither Partiton exited the hide.

Can a 25 caliber centerfire dispatch a moose? Certainly. But a 375 H&H doesn't appear to be too much gun either, and I'd hardly put a 25-06 in the same category as the 375 H&H with good bullets.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.