Well, like it or not you have another transplant from the lower 48 on the way. I've dreamed of and talked about moving to Alaska since I was a little kid, it's about time to make that happen. I'm originally from Michigan but have lived in Los Angeles for the last nine years and I NEED OUT OF THERE! I have been lucky enough to travel for work about six months a year. I'm currently in Perth, Australia and had crocodile ribs and a camel steak skewer for dinner last night. Unfortunately, even when I travel for work I'm stuck in another city. It has become entirely too toxic of a lifestyle and it's time for a change. I'm single, have no children, and minimal debt. I've also spent most of my life doing a variety of physical labor and in last few years developed a good set of management skills. I have no fear of hard work or of finding employment.

The plan(this will evolve with time):

April 2017- Pack my pickup and a trailer with my belongings(tools, clothes, sporting goods, food prep and preservation equipment, books) and drive to Anchorage. At this point I will hopefully have a housing plan developed and begin the process of getting my Alaskan residency.

I will most likely not work the first summer unless I have an opportunity to take a position that helps me gain further outdoor knowledge. I plan to fish the salmon run and preserve enough for myself via freezing, smoking and canning to get through until the following season.

September-mid October-I will spend most of this time hunting until I fill a black bear and caribou tag. I will process the meat myself. I am aware that this will take $$$.

Mid October-early January 2018-I will fly back to the lower 48 as I make a large portion of my yearly income as a carpenter on a touring holiday production(I'm a roadie).

Remainder of January 2018-spent in the lower 48 visting friends and family.

February/March/April-Return to AK and find work to retain/build financial funds and ward off seasonal depression. Research for upcoming fishing and big game seasons.

May/June/July/August-take on seasonal or part time work in the outdoor industry to gain knowledge and do what I love. Fish/backpack and train for more intense future trips.

September/October-Moose hunt

Ideally I stay in Alaska for a minimum of five years(possibly longer depending on the health of my parents), gain residency and have the opportunity to take the following game animals in that time: Black bear, Caribou, Moose, Dall Sheep, Mountain Goat and Sitka Black Tail.

I've been through a lot in life and have realized that I don't require much to be happy. All I really need is my family, friends, freedom and the great outdoors.

Most of my time and income for the next 18 months will be directed towards this change in life. Any suggestions on employment, housing, locations, hunting, fishing, game and fish preservation/storage, training, gear, etc. will be highly appreciated. I hope that in time I can earn my keep and your respect and that you will be proud to call me a fellow Alaskan.

Last edited by Stick1330; 10/01/15.

If it was easy, everybody would do it.