Originally Posted by teal
Sorta in the same boat but different.

My son will be done with HS in 3 years. At that point he's decided to join the service.

Once that happens - I have zero reason to stay where I am.

I definitely want to move to AK. Where? Dunno. My concern is work. Specifically finding work that pays well enough to cover hunting/fishing costs.

Don't have it figured out just yet - being here, not there, is a problem but I have time. Seems like most jobs are in the 12-14 dollar an hour range. NO CLUE how people live on that.

My background is logistics - thought about getting a welding degree to help with job search but don't know. I can get an MBA easy enough too - work down here and save enough to maybe just retire to AK.

I don't need much but I also want to really take advantage of the hunting/fishing up there. Moving there and not being able to afford to do the bear/deer/steelheading I want to do is like camping outside a tittybar's window. [bleep] that.

Heck, even a lot of us who have been living and working in Alaska for a very long time have a difficult time getting time off from work to hunt and fish. And then when we go out there it's combat hunting and fishing. Now, if you have lots of money you can pay a pilot to fly you to a remote location to hunt and fish away from the crowds smile