Originally Posted by Mike378
Reduced loads are great and is really a different branch of reloading as is cast bullet shooting.
Leaving squib loads aside for a moment, the best reduced loads come with a powder that is one or two burning rates faster than used for full powder. So in a 300 Win or 270 Win then powders like Varget, 4064, 3031.

Such powders will (in 300 Win) duplicate 30/06 maximum loads but with lower pressure. As a bonus reduced loads often give the top accuracy and with great consistency.
They also have that same sort of feeling you get toddling around I a big V8 manual compared to the little 4 cylinder in manual.
In the case of big kickers, say from 375 H& and up the reduced loads allow you to shoot the rifle for lots of shots.
Another advantage of using a bigger case, say 270 Wby as compared to 270 Win, is there are countless loads you can use in the 270 Wby that will duplicate max 270 Win ballistics. If the goal is to get at least 3100 f/s with a 130 grain 270 projectile and top accuracy I can guarantee you that with the 270 Wby (or 7mm Rem etc.) my chances are better than using a 270 Winchester. I simply have a much greater variety of powders to use and charge weights to use.

In addition brass and barrel life is better with say a 270 Wby loaded to equal 270 Win when the 270 Win is at maximum.

If I wanted the performance of a 25/06 then I would get a 257 Wby or 25/300 Win. The 22/243 equals maxed out 22/250 ballistics and the 22/243 is just idling.

For reasons which I can’t explain when loading back the muzzle blast is not as severe or sharp as the smaller case loaded to maximum. For example, the 378 Wby with 85 grains of Varget or 4064 usually gets 2600 plus with 270 grainers and very low pressure. But the blast is “softer” than the H&H loaded flat out.

I often get a laugh from posters who are trying to get 2500-2600 with 300 grain 375 H&H and are juggling powders and bullet type. One combo gets the velocity but not the accuracy or another combo gets the accuracy but not the velocity. How much easier is a 375 RUM/378 Wby to get the velocity/accuracy combination.

I could go on and on but you get the idea.

One thing I would add is when developing reduced loads it is a big advantage if you can reload at the range or wherever you are shooting.

My reloading experience is minimal, but this sure seems to make a lot of sense!