Originally Posted by 458Win
Although the 458 was branded with a bad reputation due to a number of intentionally misleading articles written by high profile dilettante/writer/journalists, It retains a solid reputation in Africa and Alaska by those who actually give it a fair trial.

After one noted writer wrote a scathing piece about it, while glowing about the virtues of the old African rounds, I decided to do a comparison.
Using alternating stacks of wet and dry magazines I fired a 404 Jeffery with a 400 grain Swift bullet at over 2200fps into the stack and then a Hornady factory 458 with 500 gr Interlock bullets from my 20" bbl rifle.

As you can see from the photo of both recovered bullets resting by their respective holes. This is the last magazine (18 inches of penetration) where the 404 came to rest and the hole on the right shows the additional damage where the 458 continued on for another 6 inches. 25% more.

[Linked Image]

Phil,,I showed this picture to my wife and she ordered me to take my mountains of magazines outside and shoot them!

Maybe the fishing one's 1st though.

I tend to use more than enough gun