Now that I live in bear country, I am thinking of getting a tag a trying for one here in a few weeks.

I have no experience with bear. I have seen two bears in my life and neither were in a hunting situation.

There is a piece of public ground less than 1/2 hour from my house that apparently has lots of bear. It is about 5000 acres but has terrible access. It has less than a mile of road frontage on a curvy back road with very little shoulder. From this frontage it is a 2 mile hike up to a ridgeline. Then the public land goes up and down the top of the ridge for several miles. All other road frontage is strictly private and no-tresspassing.

There is a parking area, but no trails leading out of it. It is at one end of the road frontage. At the other end there is no parking area, but there is an old farm lane that goes most of the way to the top.

I have never been scouting on this ground but drove out there today ...the deer opener...and there were only two trucks parked in the ditch near the farm lane end.

If I hunt this place it will be a long hike in, and a long drag out. I won't have any help with the drag. I bought a deer cart rated for 500#. Never used one before but if I could get a bear to the lane I could push it down with that thing.

Those of you have hunted for bears without dogs or bait, do you prefer to sill hunt or use a stand? Also, if I shoot a nice one I would like a rug. Is there any precaution I should be aware of field dressing so as not to ruin it?

Any other tips appreciated!