Originally Posted by readonly
There is no public land hunting in VA on Sunday, so I finally made it out to the piece of ground I've been thinking and had a look around.

I parked in a ditch on the end of the road frontage and was able to find an logging trail without much problems. It shoots straight up the mountain. Not sure how long ago the place was clearcut. Most of the timber is not very big, but big enough so that it is open hardwoods. So I followed the trail about 2 miles straight up. It gets to with insight of the ridgeline, then wraps around to the other side. I did not see a way to get the ridgline without rock climbing gear. Steep rock formations going straight up.

When I have more time and am in better shape I will find a way up there. I hiked around a bit but did not deviate from the trail too much. I could see where there had been plenty of acorns earlier. But I could only find rotten ones at this point. I only found one bear poop and it was not fresh. But I also only found one deer poop, but saw more than 2 dozen fresh rubs. Lots of good buck sign. Saw that somebody must have killed a deer recently and dragged it down the trail as there was hair left on every sharp rock.

I found a few spots where I could see a few hundred yards overlooking a couple small streams that come out of the mountain. Maybe a good spot to set up, watch and call a little.

Down by the road the state has put in 10+ acres of food plots, looks to have turnips growing.

I will try to make it back before sunup one day and see if I can get a shot a bear.

Good luck! I hope you get one. My family loves bear meat and will pass over venison roast for a bear roast if given the choice.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb