Originally Posted by TheKid
Look for food sources, #1 thing on a bear's mind in the fall is calories. If you can find a good stand of oaks with acorns on them this year that maybe a good place to watch depending on what else there is nearby for them to eat.
If you shoot one skin and quarter him and pack out the pieces. Would suck to shoot a nice bear then drag the hair off one side Safariman style and ruin your rug.

This^^^

You won't be able to load a 500 lb bear onto a cart by yourself - or even a 300 lber. I would call to see if quartering is legal, then buy a pack capable of carrying out a bear over several trips. More than likely a bear in that environment will weigh between 125-250 lbs. Be careful not to shoot the first black thing you see. Bears suffer significant ground shrinkage. I've seen guys carry them under their arm to the check station in PA. A 50 lb bear is a cub but legal in PA - check your laws before you go.

Food: acorns always a good bet. Beech and cherry are the other 2 main food sources - unless farms are around. Bear will eat corn and apples when available. You'll know if its been eating corn by the yellow piles of poop.

Sounds to me like your situation is good. You don't want a bunch of easy access.or everybody and their brother will be in there. Just plan how to get one out and have fun.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.