Originally Posted by 338WIN
BSA, totally agree on the battery life. Get a long day out of a set. I used to just turn it on when I wanted to see confirm where I was. Now I leave it on most of the time.

Yep, I used to turn it on and off. Batteries would last all 8 days of the hunt doing it that way, but hell it isn't as convenient as just leaving it on and the ability to track where you've been is great. Plus you don't have to wait for it to lock on to satellites. I just keep a few extra AA's in the pack incase I run low. I've got my settings as such that leaving it on doesn't waste a lot of the battery during the day. 15 second back light off and battery saver mode on. I also have a lot of the other bullchit turned off like geocaching mode. I also keep It in my pack in a side pocket where it is easy to get to when I need to look at it. While it's in that pocket, it doesn't seem to turn the backlight on so the battery lasts longer. I also run in WAAS mode and have heard that drains the battery more than the standard mode, but I couldn't see a difference.. One thing I like about my GPS is it takes pictures too. Crappy as they may be as compared to a real camera, it is nice that I don't have to pack another piece of equipment in the field. Here are some of the pics I've taken with it recently while out hunting:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA