Being blessed with the worst sense of direction in history ,I've used GPS's since they first came out. I've probably owned 6 different ones. I currently have a Garmin eTrex HCX and a Garmin Oregon 450t I use them both. The newer models have some reception advantages having GlONASS but it's not huge. The 450 has a 3 Axis compass, which is why I bought it, with the eTrex you have to be moving for the compass to work. I haven't had to many reception issues , both have high sensitivity antennas in them , But the Quad Helix antennas on the Garmin 62 & 64 are a bit better. It was cheaper to buy the T (topo) model 450 otherwise I would have bought the regular 450. There's really good topo maps free on the Internet I use them. I use the 450 most I like the touch screen nothing to get hung up on , the eTrex has a joy stick , most the time I just have it in my pocket. I don't leave it on it only takes a few seconds to lock on after the initial lock in a area. I carry extra batteries and , ALWAYS have a compass usually 2 , I had a GPS go loopy in a Lightning storm years ago. I use mine for way more than just locating camp or the truck . You can do a lot in conjunction with Google Earth. If I bought one now it would be a Montana or a Monterra because of the bigger screen.

Not sure on the cell phone's I always thought they had to have reception for the GPS part to work . Most place's I hunt I never have reception and when I do the battery is at 30%.

Some older models they're phasing out can be had for a pretty good price. 3 axis compass and water proof were important to me , GLONASS would be nice. I don't know what your budget is but here are some models I've seen on sale. You'll have to look and see if they offer what you want. Hope this helps KH

Garmin eTrex 30
Garmin 62
Garmin 64
Oregon 450
Oregon 600