Not just backpacking. Currently using an Oregon 450 with free topos and also this year used onX Hunt app subscription on an Android phone (which was glitchy at times but invaluable info). Being able to have satellite images, land ownership, maps with topography is super handy, especially in new areas. When practical, I leave the tracking on selectively. Most handily I use it to save portions of a track showing a road that is not on the base map - so it'll showup etc. Especially helpful with missing two-tracks or you're in an area that spans several 24Ks. Next one I get will have a bigger screen, not tablet big but 4"+, definitely AA batteries, and thinking a camera would eliminate gadget. As an aside, it's uber techy but have not heard much regarding building custom layers and chit but the potential is endless. Kinda think the next generation of devices will allow better flow between devices and selectivity of what's on the display. Being able to more readily blend some of what is on the 'chips' with what is available from other sources (without having to be a GIS nerd) would be cool. Always will like to have the 'where the hell is the rig' solution, not because it keeps me from getting frickin lost but it has been shown to dramatically reduce how bad I'm lost and how much work it is to get found!

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?