Originally Posted by buckhorn
Congratulations Bob! Love the meat pole pic. I've been hunting in Maine for over 30 years and still no patch. I've seen them over 200 lbs on meat poles and in the back of trucks and at the check stations, but none have walked in front of me on the hoof just yet. A close friend had one come in at 196 lbs! I joke about being very "judicious" in my field dressing technique on one that might come close. You never know!

Buckhorn!!!! I feel terrible! cry

You are not alone. Many people who hunt hard and diligently up there have never seen one. Stories of close calls, freeze ups, buck fever,tiny wrong moves and general malaise in the presence of those animals,run rampant. Stories galore. frown

Seeing one is a real chore in those big woods. Killing them is something else and often just as hard..

Don't know if I mentioned it, but when that buck walked out, I could only see one side of the rack (not real well),and thought he was a 160 pound 6 point-type buck. I killed him pretty quick...I was not " trophy hunting" .

I got a surprise when I walked up on him. He was a much bigger buck than I originally thought. I hit the perfect storm.

When they are close in weight, field dress gently! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.