Coyote_Hunter, wouldn't worry about it regardless if my quotes coincided with your post. I wasn't quoting you specifically.

bsa1917hunter, Thanks grin

The 300 wm is a great cartridge and catagoricaly the 338 wouldn't change that when pitted against North American game. However, like I said the fear and paranoia surrounding the choice of a 338 over a 300 is legendary. A lot of this probably has to do with how the 300 was marketed. Regardless, the choice amounts to being on one side of the fence or the other like so many other cartridge comparisons and nothing more ( cept when you are on the 338 side of the fence you're looking down grin ). A typical scenario on these forums is a guy has a 30-06 and wants a medium bore. He suggests that he is deciding between a 300, 338, & 375. Then people starting climbing out of the woodwork giving ever reason why not to own a 338 OVER a 300 (mind you the guy already has an 06) and if you choose a 338 over the 375 you'll never go to Africa. The 338 will be the biggest mistake of your life essentially.
The argument is flawed though because you will always be curious about owning a 375 grin so buy the 338 and eventually get a 375.
All kidding aside, there is nothing wrong with owning a 338 instead of a 300 and it's astounding to me how much people drop a duce over the notion of doing so.

Last edited by smallfry; 11/27/15.