Originally Posted by ts300wsm
Have a chance to buy a Winchester with Leupold scope and never owned this caliber before and wondering what's the good and bad of this caliber? Also what game have you taken with it? Also what grain and bullet you use?

Good questions. Yes they are an excellent elk cartridge. A little too much for most guys when it comes to recoil. Trajectory, energy and on game performance is pretty good. Accuracy has always seemed to be very good when loaded near max. I generally use 250gr. bullets in mine, but ran across a good deal on a few hundred 225gr. Hornady interlocks, so I'll be using those for a little while. Then I'll be going back to the 250gr. sierra gameking. I've tried tons of different bullets in mine and that's the bullet I decided on a long time ago. Good B.C and puts a good thumping on big critters (elk in particular). I have shot mule deer with mine, but afterwards thought to myself, "what in the hell are you doing". Definitely too much gun for smaller critters than elk. If you believe in that kind of thing. However, there's no more dead than really dead and the 338 makes them really dead... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA