I own 2 338's- one a pre 64 Model 70 and one a stainless classic I bought when I got tired of worrying about the Pre 64 taking a bath every time I took it out. Both shoot equally well with the same load of 225 grain Partitions, Aframes, or Hornadies and no scope adjustment needed.

I've shot elk, moose, big black bear, and african plains game with them and the 338 always performs the same- bang, flop about 90% of the time, animals go a short distance ( 50 yards) about 10% of the time.

When hunting moose in Alberta a few years ago, my guide called in a good bull while I was taking a piss. I thought I had lots of time to zip up and get ready, but the moose had other ideas. he crossed our trail about 125 yards away so I had to snap a quick shot before he disappeared in the lodegpole on the other side of the trail. I swung up with the rifle, found the shoulder, and squeezed off a shot in a quick motion and the moose hit the ground like hit in the head with a sledgehammer. I'll never forget my guide behind me yelling "J##&* C#@##, what the hell are you shooting? I've never seen that happen before!" Made for a quick skinning job and loaded up on the ATV's as there were grizzlies in the area and came to a shot like a dinner bell.

IMHO, hard to go wrong with the good old .338 on just about any game, but there may be better choices for smaller game like deer, pigs, etc......

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.