Originally Posted by BobinNH
Don't really have anything that falls in this category because if I don't like them they go down the road immediately.

I'm pretty ruthless with rifles I dislike. smile

Same here. If I haven't killed it's intended quary with it within a year of purchase, I figure I didn't need it as badly as I thought and it goes down the road. But....

Remington 742 Carbine, chambered in .30-06. Currently has an ancient Weaver 4x on it. My Dad bought it for me when I became old enough to hunt (age 14 here in ND). By that time I was already shooting a 12ga (capably), so he thought he'd get me the same rifle that he was using (742 BDL, 30-06). He opted for the carbine, though, as he thought it would be lighter and easier for a kid to lug around.

And that is where his reasoning went off the rails. I was already lugging around a 8lbs Remington M11 shotgun, so weight wasn't an issue. Basically, he got me a gun that was LOUD, kicked like a mule and shot flames out the end of the barrel. All while delivering mediocre to poor accuracy. I DID kill my first deer with it, and much later, a couple others. But I never did like that gun. But, since it was a gift from Dad, I hold on to it. Dad is gone now, and I have his 742 as a complement to mine. Once it a while I think about taking his out (it's much more accurate than mine) and putting an animal on the ground with it. Unfortunately, I am in the depths of a loony binge and there's always something around that needs to be blooded first.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"