First and foremost I am against "blacklists," such as what happened in Hollywood during the late 1940s and through the 1950s. I believe that in this country a person can believe whatever he or she wants and not be punished for it.

On the other hand, I believe a company, such as a studio in the case of the Hollywood blacklists, has the right to employ or not employ whomever it wishes, for whatever reason. It is the studio's money to spend as it wishes. I do not agree with what the studios did, but they had the right to do so.

What I have always found, however, to be the height of hypocrisy is the fact that the screenwriters, etc. in Hollywood who were members of the Communist Party USA, or the Communist Party International, or were "sympathizers, who always screamed "First Amendment Freedom of Speech & Freedom Of the Press!!" yet believed in the destruction of the Constitution and the replacement of our Constitutional Republic with a communist form of repressive government.

They were so ignorant and naïve of what communism entailed they couldn't imagine that under communism, they would have been the first to have been stood up against the wall and shot ... or they would have survived only if they wrote precisely what they were ordered to write. Freedom of Speech/Press doesn't exist under communism.

Another great hypocrisy of the communist screenwriters, et al, was the fact they loved the money, perks, privileges and glamour of Capitalism in Hollywood, but despised the Capitalist system that brought them these "comforts."

To this day, that attitude exists among many of Hollywood's elites and wannabee elites, except today, they self righteously call themselves "progressives" and the ideology "progressivism."

As usual, hypocrites one and all.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)