Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Tucker1965,

<snip>

Yes, there are some companies that earnestly suggest break-in procedures. If you feel like following them, go ahead. But like many other procedures in rifle shooting that supposedly are absolutely necessary, my testing convinced me it was a waste of time. And I'm too busy to waste time on useless stuff, like uniforming primer pockets in brass shot in factory hunting rifles, or breaking-in barrels by cleaning them after every shot, when neither makes any difference.

John,

When I received my NULA M24 .30-'06 from Melvin I decided to follow the Mule Deer Break-In Procedure (i.e. none) since I copied your specifications for the rifle. I am a little over 50 rounds down the bore since I mostly only hunt with that rifle. Also since I have been doing more ML seasons for elk meat the last few years I have been hunting with my old M90 ULA .50 instead of shooting more '06 cartridges.

The ULA M90 is definitely a PITA to clean by the way, but it is a legal ML rifle in Orygun where I have been hunting. It was the first gun I bought from Melvin.

I went to Kenny Jarrett's talk at the SCI Show a few years ago and found his explanation of his recommended method consistent with what he presented. His talk was definitely worth the time to listen and watch his photos if you haven't seen it I recommend it...

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."