Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Tucker1965,

No, I have never found any scientific studies that compare the results from a bunch of barrels that have been broken-in by the "accelerated" method or just shot. Apparently they don't exist, for the very reason smokepole stated: You'd have to compare a BUNCH of supposedly identical barrels before coming to any firm comclusions.

What I have done, however, is compare both the accelerated break-in method and various other methods over many years, including cleaning down to bare steel between range sessions, using fire-lapping bullets, and various other methods. I started this experimentation in the 1990's, when suddenly many shooters decided it had became necessary to "properly" break-in any new barrel immediately. (Somehow the word "properly" is often used, even though the methods vary considerably--including the furious scrubbing I've seen so often at ranges.)

My research was helped immensely by the use of a Hawkleye borescope to analyze the effectiveness of various techniques, but I also did some research into the origins of the method. Both led to the conclusions stated in my above post, but I've also published more than one full-length article on the subject containing more details.

Have also had conversations with several barrelmakers and custom riflesmiths who told me what I stated above: They only started suggesting a break-in procedure because so many of their customers were some convinced by all the break-in blather that it was absolutely necessary. So to prevent wasting time having to explain why break-in was also a waste of time, they just made up something and put it on their website and in their brochures.

Yes, there are some companies that earnestly suggest break-in procedures. If you feel like following them, go ahead. But like many other procedures in rifle shooting that supposedly are absolutely necessary, my testing convinced me it was a waste of time. And I'm too busy to waste time on useless stuff, like uniforming primer pockets in brass shot in factory hunting rifles, or breaking-in barrels by cleaning them after every shot, when neither makes any difference.

Same thing goes for washing cars and making up the bed in the morning. laugh

I'm in total agreement. Different subject but I've had a few barrels that didn't shoot well until they had a fair number of bullets down the tube so I guess I do believe in barrel break in, just not with a cleaning rod.