I have never had one processed. Every deer I have ever killed since the 50s has been butchered by my own hand.

I always use pork shoulder for the fat to make burger. Vacuum seal units are really great and vacuum sealed meat fat added or not lasts just as long as any once frozen.

I have discovered that smoking venison whole muscles saves time and produces some really fine eating. I just used Hogh Mountain Mesquite jerky cure. Just separate the muscles of the ham, sprinkle on the High Mountain liberally, put it in a zip lock with the air squeezed out and then into the fridge for 2-3 days. 4 hours at 210 degrees for small muscles like the eye of round and 10-12 hours for big muscles like the top and bottom round. Comes out tender and moist. The shoulder is maybe even better. The long slow cook in the smoker makes them really tender. Vacuum pack them and into the freezer. Much better than the best jerky I have ever made. A good digital temperature controlled smoker that's decently insulated makes this super easy.