Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A few comments:

Wild animals are not all the same, whether in species, age, or condition. Connective tissue and silverskin can affect taste, but only in a few species during the rut, or sometimes when they start to lose weight during winter.

When it does occur, the off-taste tends to increase the longer the meat's frozen. Have had it happen with rutty mule deer that tasted fine initially, but after 6 months in the freezer the cuts with more connective tissue definitely changed flavor. But most of the time it doesn't make any difference.

Whether or not to use plastic for wrapping depends a lot on the freezer. Frost-free freezers tend to freezer-burn meat, because freezer burn is a result of "freeze-drying," essentially oxidation of the meat.

Frost-free freezers are constantly cycling moisture outside the freezer, and if you open up a freezer a lot the same thing happens. The worst are the freezer compartments in most new refrigerators. They're frost-free and not as cold as dedicated freezers, and get opened a lot, so oxidation's likely. Fat also oxidizes easily. Lean meat doesn't.

The reason vacuum-sealing works is it gets the air out, the reason we use it primarily for fish and birds, which are often irregularly shaped. With steaks, roasts or burger that can be tightly wrapped, it's not likely, especially in a non-frost-free chest freezer.

My wife and I trim all fat off big game, and don't add any fat to burger. Unless the cut is really irregular, we don't vacuum-pack or even use plastic. Instead we double-wrap in good freezer paper, and put the packages in frost-free chest freezers. They've never freezer-burned even when stored 3 years, and we regularly keep big game meat that long from special animals.

If somebody wants to make sure then plastic helps, especially in frost-free freezers. But if you have a non-frost-free chest freezer, good freezer paper is quicker, a lot cheaper and just as effective.

A couple points of correction... oxidation and freeze-drying are very different. Sublimation is the process by which water in solid form turns to a gas without an intermediate liquid form. That is freeze-drying.

Oxidation is the process by which something gives up electrons while combining with oxygen. Burning is an example.

Freezerburning is essentially a melding of the two processes.

Years ago we went to mixing our burger meat with olive oil as we grind. It works so well we have kept it up.

We went to vac packing in chamber machines years ago and it really is far better... and faster...

A couple years ago I went to retort bags... essentially MRE bags that are sealed in a vac sealer and then pressured cooked like jars. Shelf stable, easily stored, and no jars required...

I was there for every step of four big bull moose and two caribou bulls this year. Last year I broke down all of the quarters on eight bull moose... it is just a great way to pass time in the fall...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.