Originally Posted by Speedgoat3006
Originally Posted by Bighorn

Removing membranes and silverskin before freezing is important, IMO.

I used to remove all the silverskin as well, then I read somewhere that it actually helps prevent freezer burn. Now I leave it on. I haven't noticed any difference in either the flavor or tenderness of the meat when I leave it on and it does seem to protect from freezer burn. It makes the butchering process go much quicker when not trimming every piece of connective tissue, too. I do trim all the fat and am religious about not letting hair get in the meat.

I always let it age for a few days as well, to get past the rigor stage.

Just my experience, YMMV.

I too leave the silverskin on some cuts, particularly the sirloins (which I freeze whole) and the outside of the backstraps. I have never noticed and off flavor and also feel it helps insulate. Plus it is easier to peel a strip of silverskin off the outside of a steak after cutting vs trying to fillet it off of a whole roast. Absolutely never let cook anything with silverskin on it though.

After my first two deer went to the processor and were by far my least favorite tasting I started processing all of my own. In my area, deer (other than archery) are generally shot when it is pretty cold out which makes aging them easier and less stressful. I consider the processing of the meat part of the hunt and would probably feel incomplete without that chore at the end. I have friends and acquaintances that can't wait to fill a tag quick and dump it at a locker so they can watch football and drink beer. It's just not for me. My wife is not a hunter and isn't interested in the field dressing or breaking down process but does volunteer to help me with the trimming, grinding and wrapping which helps considerably.