Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
When TAK always talked about the dead man’s gun or whatever with the M9 where a person grasping the slide accidentally puts the safety on I always wondered how someone could do that, then realized he was talking about people wrapping their hand over the top of the slide so the thumb pushing down on the safety engages it. With thumb and forefinger the forefinger is curled under the safety so the only way it can push is up which never puts the safety in the safe position.

I forget which manufacturer, maybe Ruger for their Mk series .22’s or Kahr, advises in their manual to always use the slide release lever to drop the slide on a fresh magazine, never slingshot as the slide release method always results in more positive chambering of the round.

Just an addendum, but IIRC that slide release drop was how we were taught to do it in Army basic training. Those 1911’s we used for training had likely been in service since Korea and the slide notches were still working like they should.

I've have done demos with a S&W 6906 putting the safety on just grabbing the back of the slide right over the safety lever just pulling straight back.

It may be Kahr...I have a P380 and CW9...if I slingshot from a full mag it will FTF 50% of the time. The P380 was bought used and had a note inside the box from the original owner warning of this.

When I read that above post about some match shooters saying the slide stop notch would wear out I almost fell off my chair laughing...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....