I go with what works for that shooter and platform they are using. I tend to go with a slingshot or slide release for two reasons. One, I tore a bunch of tendons in my left elbow which means squeezing over the top is tougher than a slingshot grip. Two, I have seen more jams and problems clearing weapons because the bottom of the palm is covering the ejection port and bouncing an empty or live round back into the action.

I have seen one out of battery detonation with a 1911 with grasping over the top, shooter was trying to clear the gun, bounced a live round back into the action and when he released the slide the ejector hit the primer. I am not saying this is the sole reason I dont do it but it has been on my mind.

As an instructor I have always felt it was my responsibility to give the student options and let them find the solution. I understand the concept of Hicks law overcoming someone under stress but on a sterile and low stress range environment they can examine the options and see what works best for them.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper