Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

Why only vertical?

John

Because inconsistencies in ignition and wide velocity spreads will result in vertical dispersion at real distance.

that's what's been explained to me. I'm sure Rick will correct me if mistaken. I'm not a match shooter. smile

Velocity spreads can cause vertical because of the position of the muzzle at bullet exit. No matter how carefully one loads his ammo, there will ALWAYS be velocity differences between shots. Therefore, finding the optimal bullet exit time will reduce vertical stringing.

This is the entire reason The Audette Method trumps all other methods.

Originally Posted by TXRam
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

Why only vertical?

John

Because inconsistencies in ignition and wide velocity spreads will result in vertical dispersion at real distance.

that's what's been explained to me. I'm sure Rick will correct me if mistaken. I'm not a match shooter. smile

We can also determine that with a chronograph.

My point being that if it's calm (min or no wind), any large spread in horizontal should not be ignored. If it can reasonably be explained by wind, no problem.

I've seen folks just use the vertical with no regard for 4" spread at 300yds on a calm day - I don't buy ignoring that.

Using chronograph data to choose a load will not always yield the best long range load, so that statement is incorrect.

Take a "fantasy" load that always shoots at 3000 fps. Simply because it performs the best statistically, doesn't mean it will shoot the best on paper. The exit time of the bullet could be when the barrel is moving inconsistently causing poor accuracy and vertical.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.