Originally Posted by smokepole
Ray, I understand the question. My answer is, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Or find an accurate load. Or use the results of a ladder test.

Personally, I've tried them. Now I just find a load that shoots good at 100 and then stretch it out and see if it holds up at long range. Works for me.

I guess that just shows my inexperience with long range shooting too, but that's a burden I'll have to bear.

Smoke,

Actually my preferred method is also to work-up loads at 100 yds and then stretch it out to longer range groups, too. Because most of my hunting is within 200 yds. I've only used the type of ladder described for 2 rifles that did double duty as LR hunting and targets where I had expectation/possibility of 300 to 600 yds shots. Thus since I had already done some load work-up I could use smaller 0.1 grain steps and 20 shots would cover 2 full grain load spread. If you have a dedicated LR rifle and haven't tried it out - Just do it. 20 shots at 300 yds in an afternoon range session will be fun.

OK back to topic - My second point I was going to make:

We have some great info and theories in these 3 pages. But it should always come down to shooting the groups at the range yardages you expect to use'em.

Ray