Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by EdM
I don't think tool sales was/is the made or break of Sears.

No, it was trying to sell women's clothing and curtains. Remember the "softer side of Sears" campaign?

Core competency is a concept accountants just can't grasp. You can't run a business without numbers, and you can't run a business by the numbers. As long as accountants are in charge, a business will decline.

Women's clothing was in Sears from the beginning. The original catalogs had about everything you could imagine, including clothing. A country person could easily get by if he had to buy everything he owned from Sears.
When this area was settled in the early 1900's, a lot of the houses built were Sears kits. They were quality houses and many are still standing.

I remember the Sears catalog being thicker than our phone book in a town of 32,000 when I was a little kid. And it was printed on what seemed like tissue paper.

Yes, there was a reason for that.

When the family was done ordering, the catalog went to the outhouse for "re-use". wink

(reduce, re-use, recycle is NOT a new concept!)

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?