Originally Posted by lubbockdave
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Question if I may...you are not talking about backpacking, are you?

You seem to be aiming more at a base camp and packing from there.

Yes, I'm looking for more of a base camp type deal. But I'm prefer something quick and easy lightweight, lightweight, and very portable. I don't want to put up a $500 canvas tent for a quick overNight hunt. I figured this Forum was the closest I could find to gather information from some experts.

Buy a tent WITHOUT mesh. Instead, find one that the mesh in a door and window with a mesh door and window that can be covered/zipped closed with a nylon door and window.

Manufacturers are making tents with lots of mesh because it makes for a lightweight advertised weight--and most folks are buying tents based on weight.

Of course, I'm assuming you're not hunting along the Appalachian trail in July........

I've camped at 10K ft in January while teleskiing and on a couple occasions nighttime temps 10-20 below. Three guys in a 4 man tent can keep temps 20 degrees above outside temps. Light up the stove to boil water for breakfast and it doesn't take long for temps to be downright toasty before crawling out of your bag.

Buy a bag that is rated at least 10 degrees lower than what you expect outside temps to be, one with a hood, a draft collar and is roomy enough to wear long underwear, a beanie, and wool socks or booties.

In other words a four season is very good, a mountaineering tent is generally overly heavy overkill.

I've had the chance to look at the Foidel Canyon and the Slater UV from Big Agnes and like them both. Both are a little short on headroom but that tends to be the trade-off for shedding wind.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.