Well Bill...I think we agree. If the capacities aren't that different,then it can only be one thing.....pressure. It sure isn't magic smile

The 280AI does have more capacity than a 270....that's what they call it "improved". So I would expect it to be faster.

A 160 .277 is not exactly the same as a 160 7mm. The 7mm has more base area for the gas to push on (Waters and JOC had that conversation 50 years ago smile A better comparison is the 150-.277 vs the 160-7mm

Velocities don't just "show up". There's always a reason...whether different barrels, lots of powders, bullets, primers, throats.Capacity..... Million reasons.

Besides you can't tell all that much about cartridges so closely matched by reading about it....they are too close. You have to take a bunch of rifles and shoot them with a bunch of loads and see what they do. You'll drive yourself crazy reading those numbers. smile

End of the day: 270 Win with 150....2900-2950 from 22" barrel. BTDT. Had one that did 3000+ with a 24".

Where's that leave the 280AI? Don't know and don't care. I shoot 7mm's with belts cause like to push 7mm bullets fast. grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.