Originally Posted by Deflagrate
Originally Posted by rost495

I really assumed by this day and time folks would know that an offhand zero and a slung up sitting or prone zero can be different.

And that just because the gun is on for me, doesnt' mean its on for you.

Actually, no. Most folks still don't know that. The majority still believe someone else, like the store deskclerk, can sight-in their rifle for them. Old wives' tales die hard even in "enlightened" high tech times.
You must remember that we live in an age when few of us have even been in the military and practiced slung up and offhand, sitting and prone. The majority males under 60 were busy with "other responsibilities" or were "too smart for the military" as it has been put to me numerous times in rather arrogant and defensive ways. Then these same guys tell me how experienced with firearms they are. Yep, Uncle Bill took them out to plink a few times.
The average guy actually is barely aware of how his rifle works. He puts in "bullets" and it goes bang. I've been at the range and had someone ask me "how to put the bullets" in his rifle or pistol.
A coworker (a retired Navy Chief no less) told me his "dad sited in the rifle before he passed" so he "didn't need too". That's a quote folks.
Most people who post here don't fall into the category of dork I've just illustrated above. If you do fall into that category, ignorance is easily fixed, stupid isn't.
There is usually a different poi difference between shooting off a bench and shooting prone. You can see it better with a really accurate rifle. Its all recoil related. Mine shoots a tad higher off the bench.( quarter inch). Not a big deal on an elk at 200yds. A pretty big deal on a coyote at 5 or 6 hundred yds. I sight in from the prone position because of this.