Perhaps it is my technique off the bench, but my rifles seem to shoot pretty much on from off hand, from a hasty sling, or when I can "cheat," which is as often as I can quickly locate a tree, post, or whatever to brace against. I usually do not put the rifle directly against the brace, but rather a gloved hand or brace my arm against the aid.

For off hand practice, I use a scoped air gun in the garage. Targets are printed shioluettes, and they are little bitty cusses. This seems to sharpen my field shooting.

I did not bring up the alcohol / tranquilizer story as a recommendation. It is a true story as to how some of the old timers coped with the pressure of competition and what they did to gain a winning edge. (Personally, I have never learned to like most of the stuff. Some years I drink a marguritta on the rocks, some years I don't.) But then, I was never movitated to try to become a championship level bulls eye shooter, just pretty good made me happy. PPC was more fun.....t

BTW, deflave is on to something. Mastering the double action revolver will improve not only your SA shooting, but also your rifle shooting. I think it is trigger control!

Best,

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 04/26/16.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero