Originally Posted by atse
Originally Posted by Deflagrate
Originally Posted by rost495

I really assumed by this day and time folks would know that an offhand zero and a slung up sitting or prone zero can be different.

And that just because the gun is on for me, doesnt' mean its on for you.

Actually, no. Most folks still don't know that. The majority still believe someone else, like the store deskclerk, can sight-in their rifle for them. Old wives' tales die hard...
The average guy actually is barely aware of how his rifle works.

Most people who post here don't fall into the category of dork...

There is usually a different poi difference between shooting off a bench and shooting prone.

I agree with Deflagrate that 'most' average hunters/shooters don't know that how a rifle is 'held'/ braced affects POI.

I discovered many yrs. ago that my rifle wasn't zeroed the same for friends and vice versa.

IF IF our body ergonomics happen to be very similar... there can a lot of difference in our vision - focus/angles/refractions etc.

IMO most of us loonys have discovered these things but I'm not sure all loonys have. There is a difference between a 'gun' loony and a 'shooting' loony. You'd think they would/should know but it doesn't always work that way.

Something I started a long time ago is to 'rest' the fore end of the rifle when grouping or sighting in AS SIMILAR to field shooting conditions AS POSSIBLE.

You can alter a group or sight in by simply applying different pressure on the fore end OR butt stock.

I never use a 'tight' sling BUT... I use shooting sticks MOST of the time. When the rare off hand shot at moving game occurs I TRY to LET the fore end rest in my palm.

This might not work for YOU or someone else but it does for me.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!