Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I haven't found a .243 bullet that won't kill deer expeditiously yet. That would include the Sierra Gameking 85 gr. BTHP, 95gr. Hornady SST, 100 gr. Hornady interlock FB, 100 gr. Core-Lokt, 100 gr. Federal power shok, and 100 gr. Power Point. My .223 with plain old 55 gr. Hornady sp's kills the hell out of them so I ain't too worried about finding/using the absolute bestest .243 bullet.

Deer aren't hard to kill when you hit em in the ribs, that's for sure. I do like a bullet that will get through a shoulder on occasion though.
It don't take much to get through a deer shoulder either. Actually much less than most hunters would believe. I once put a 38 gr. Power Lokt HP fired from a 5mm Remington rimfire magnum through a fokhorn bucks shoulder from 60 yards. He ran all of 30 yards and fell over dead. The bullet punched through the shoulder and exited behind the shoulder on the off side. Hard to believe maybe, but true nonetheless. I've also broke shoulders with several of the .243 bullets listed above, as well as the 55 gr. Hornady sp from my .223. In fact I put one of the 55 Hornady's through both shoulders of a big doe from a distance of 80 yards just a couple seasons back. She dropped like a lead balloon and I found what was left of the bullet just under the hide on the offside shoulder.

There's deer and then there's deer. Try that on a 250-300 lb mule deer buck and results might be different.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.